Serve the customer in all aspects of merchandise selection; analyze and maintain the value of all items sold in our stores. Assist in the flow process and presentation of merchandise to our customers. Facilitate the internal and external partnerships that allow Dollar General to serve others by being a customer driven distributor of consumable basics. This position is different from that of Buyer in that the Senior Buyer is responsible for more complex functions which may include, but are not limited to imports, core business items, multiple departments, sku complexity, buying volume and private labels. The Senior Buyer will also be expected to supervise others that may be involved in these more complex buying functions. Broader SKU, vendor, and supply chain breadth than Buyer position.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for all aspects of driving sales, margin and turn within category of responsibility.
- Execute assortment plans, product selection/sourcing, pricing, vendor negotiations and promotional marketing in collaboration with Division Merchandise Manager and within company plans.
- Create reports to analyze sales, margin and inventory and identify trends and recommend and execute business opportunities to minimize risks.
- Maintain accurate vendor and item information to best control procurement and logistical flow of merchandise until it reaches our customer.
- Research and negotiate vendor base to identify the best value for our customer.
- Evaluate, select, design, and develop merchandise for both core and non-core distribution and presentation in store.
- Supervising, training and developing our team partners to support total development.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Demonstrated strategic sourcing experience negotiating advanced supply contracts.
- Advanced strategic planning skills to identify opportunities and develop plans and methodologies to achieve those opportunities.
- Ability to lead change with a positive attitude.
- Superior analytical and financial skills (e.g. ability to understand and impact a profit & loss statement).
- Ability to manage strategic assortments across multiple category disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through verbal, written and listening skills so that Merchandising’s mission of customer satisfaction is achieved.
- Demonstrated planning and executing of annual budget to ensure positive shareholder risk.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player and customer service driven, while maintaining the values of Dollar General.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively monitor and develop team partners to ensure a partnership in total development.
- Thorough knowledge of specific categories, including market trends, item cost, competitive issues and logistical issues to help facilitate customer satisfaction.
- Ability to demonstrate moral integrity and professionalism while negotiating issues to help facilitate customer satisfaction.
- Keen understanding of the dynamics of negotiating product and interpersonal knowledge of how to achieve Dollar General’s goals.
- Ability to make decisions in a rapidly changing environment while maintaining an enthusiastic sense of mission.