Provides leadership, cultural identity, and development for three departments: retail facility maintenance – planned services, retail facility maintenance – reactive services, and retail compliance and sustainability. This role is responsible for strategic and tactical oversight of all planned maintenance services (~350k services annually) and ad-hoc repairs (~120k repairs annually) for ~15,000 stores including stewardship of expense budgets in excess of $144M annually and capital budgets in excess of $85M annually. This role is responsible for ensuring on-going compliance with state and federal environmental programs impacting retail operation, health/safety compliance pertaining to the physical facility, waste management, and sustainability. This responsibility includes budget stewardship of $20M+ in waste management expense annually and $25M+ of recycling revenue generation annually. This role is responsible for supporting the organization’s aggressive growth proposition in new store, relocation, remodel, and merchandise expansion programs through oversight of all new and existing refrigeration needs across 15,000+ stores. Expectation is daily interaction with senior operational leadership (RDs, DVPs, SVPs, and EVP) as well as consistent influence across organization to advance mission of store support and brand growth i.e. Finance, Construction, Architectural Design, and Store Operations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Responsible for planned and ad-hoc repair and maintenance services for 15,000+ locations
- Develop leadership and tactical competencies of three Sr. Managers and establish cultural identity of consistent customer service and timely execution for broader team of 20+ members.
- Lead the development and implementation of annual store facility care standards anchored to cost validated zero based budgets.
- Daily interaction with senior leadership advancing the mission of customer service, growth of DG brand and alignment on facility care standard priorities.
- Couple a culture of responsible spending and timely execution through establishment and enforcement of service level expectations by criticality, vendor score carding, and cost benchmarking/validation.
- Lead the establishment of right-sized planned service programs that provide adequate service frequency at competitive pricing through consistent partnership with procurement.
- Constantly challenge vendor network to ensure appropriate vendor relationships, acceptable work distribution, reasonable risk diversification, competitive pricing, and service levels that met or exceed current expectations.
- Advance the technology needs of the business unit in order to expand the functionality and enterprise wide user acceptance of respond as well as obtain a system of record to promote full ownership of data/history, improve team productivity, and facilitate long term strategic planning.
Responsible for environmental compliance, pest control, waste management, and sustainability for 15,000 stores
Responsible for state and federal compliance of environmental regulations at retail specifically regarding hazardous material disposal programs.
Ensures the prevention and timely resolution of health and fire compliance issues impacting the physical facility
Ensures the procurement of nationwide pest control programs to support store operations in the advancement of food safety, store standards, and positive customer feedback.
Leads the organization’s commitment to sustainable and environmentally friendly waste management practices by providing timely and consistent trash collection at retail while simultaneously overseeing the retail recycling programs designed to divert unnecessary waste from landfill
- Responsible for creating and managing zeroed based budgets in excess of $200M (expense and capital) for facility maintenance, waste management, environmental compliance, recycling, and refrigeration.
- Develop zero based expense budgets annually and re-forecast periodically for facility maintenance, waste management, environmental compliance, and recycling.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate spend practices and adhering to period, quarterly, and annual budget/forecast targets.
- Serve as cost package owner and present results and initiatives in monthly ZBB leadership meetings
- Lead capital planning and investment for refrigeration, leasehold improvement, and HVAC proactive replacement in order to drive sales, save expense, and provide base maintenance care.
- Responsible for supporting the organization’s aggressive growth proposition in new store, relocation, remodel, and merchandise expansion programs through oversight of all new and existing refrigeration needs.
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of refrigeration roll out programs of scale reaching 30,000+ net new refrigeration doors in 4,000+ stores annually.
- Partner with A&E Design in decision making impacting refrigeration specification requirements, manufacturer vetting/partnership, cost validation, and contract negotiation.
- Oversee capital distribution supporting refrigeration purchase, shipment, and installation.
- Ensure new, relocation, remodel, and merchandise initiative pipelines are maintained and the integrity of the program sales projections are upheld through timely execution.