Manages prepaids, accruals, and lease accounting daily. Supports subsidiary accounting, insurance captive, and 401(k). Supporting responsibility within company’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) reporting, including Form 10-Qs, Form 10-K, and management of XBRL tagging. Responsible for technical research and writing to address new accounting pronouncements as they arise including implementation of the new lease accounting standard.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages all aspects of lease accounting including, but not limited to, straight line rent, contingent rent, and CAM, insurance, and real estate tax accruals and true-ups. Ensure transactions are processed accurately and timely. Partners with real estate team to provide accounting insight into proposed real estate initiatives and decisions. Reviews journal entries created by real estate team for variety of leasing activities. Will be heavily involved in implementation of new lease accounting standards.
- Key contributor to the monthly close process including journal entries and analytics. Performs monthly account reconciliations on each balance sheet account assigned. Participates fully in monthly variance analysis by identifying variances in expense accounts to budget /forecast and researching and communicating findings as needed. Creates financial statements and balance sheet fluctuation analysis each period for distribution to members of Finance management.
- Manages aspects of subsidiary and intercompany accounting including insurance subsidiary, foreign offices, and 401(k). Ensures intercompany transactions are recorded appropriately on a monthly basis. Complete required annual financial statements and notes. Manages statutory audits with audit team of the subsidiary entities and is the primary contact for engagements.
- Performs necessary technical accounting and financial reporting research and writing. Includes review of newly proposed or issued FASB guidance (leasing), existing guidance as it pertains to identified company issues, peer SEC comment letters, and other financial reporting communications. Communicates findings with senior management and/or other relevant departments via memos, email, and/or verbal and written presentations.
- Drives significant portion of quarterly and annual SEC reporting process. Creates first draft of Form 10-Qs and Form 10-K, develops a tie-out support package for all SEC documents, and owns the GAAP disclosure checklist for each SEC filing. Partners with Investor Relations to review and support key communications, such as earnings releases and earnings call highlights, to external users including the SEC, shareholders, and the investment community. Coordinates with external auditors as needed in relation to SEC filings review.
- Manages XBRL reporting process for SEC filings. Creates shell document to start the tagging process, reviews every tagged fact for all financial statements and footnotes, and coordinates with XBRL service provider to ensure all questions and comments are satisfactorily addressed and incorporated into company’s XBRL filing. Performs final quality check on XBRL filing using third party tool to ensure filing is consistent with XBRL quality expectations. Responsible for staying abreast of regulatory changes and maintaining continued understanding of developments within the XBRL filing community.